Notebook stand is an indispensable thing for those who use it not at the table, but in other places, leaning on your lap or on a handy support from books, cushions and everything that comes to hand. Not only is this not always comfortable, but it also has a negative effect on the robot of technology due to poor cooling. This article will help you choose a special stand and understand the types, design features, additional equipment.
The main functions of the stand
The laptop stand performs several main functions at once:
- Provides the necessary level of cooling of the laptop even during intensive work and heavy loads, for example during computer games, the use of programs for working with graphics and video.
- Additional cooling will not be superfluous if the laptop is used in a hot climate or stands mostly on a bed or couch where a blanket or quilt cover the ventilation holes and do not allow the technique to cool effectively.
- Allows you to position the technique in a comfortable position so that you do not have to strain your eyes and muscles, especially during prolonged work. If the laptop will be on your lap, with a stand it will be much more comfortable to use.
Deciding on the type
- Stand. Lets you raise the laptop a few centimeters above the table surface or place it comfortably on your lap. Characterized by compact size and budget cost. The design is predominantly one-piece.
- Table. Special tabletop on legs. It is ideal for working on a bed or a sofa and you don’t want to put your notebook on a blanket or place it directly on your lap. A miniature desktop replacement. Compared to the usual stand, a more bulky and expensive variety. Most models have a folding design.
Choosing the type of cooling
One of the most important parameters when choosing a stand or table for a laptop – the type of cooling, which can be active and passive. Each type has its own characteristics of work.
With active cooling, several fans are built into the stand, allowing you to quickly and effectively reduce the temperature. But it is worth considering certain nuances:
- Coolers need electricity to work, which leads to additional energy costs. The model with the active type of cooling can draw power from the laptop itself, connecting through a USB port, or directly from the outlet.
- The quality of cooling depends on the speed of the fans. But the higher the speed, the more noise comes from the coolers, which is not always comfortable for work.
- The number of fans depends on their diameter – one large fan will be enough for full cooling, but several small fans will be needed.
- The ideal solution for equipment, in which due to technical deficiencies or operating conditions there are problems with self-cooling.
Models with passive cooling cope with the task due to the peculiarities of design.
- They use a material that can absorb and dissipate the heat emanating from the laptop.
- When placing a laptop on such a stand the distance between it and any surface increases, improves air circulation.
- Suitable for equipment that does not require additional intensive cooling.
The stands are made of wood, metal, plastic and combined materials.
- Metal. Strong, durable and does a good job of heat dissipation.
- Plastic. Lightweight, but with low quality workmanship is quite fragile and unreliable material. Tends to heat up quickly and poorly dissipates heat.
- Wood. Unlike plastic, it is much stronger and more durable. But it also poorly copes with heat dissipation. But pleasing to the eye appearance – wood is most often used to make tables that successfully complement most interiors. In addition, products made of wood are quite heavy and bulky. But in the case of tables it is an advantage and guarantees stability.
The design of many laptop stands involves the possibility of changing the height and tilt. By adjusting them, you can set the most comfortable position, according to the preferences of the user.
Compatibility of the stand and a laptop
The usability of the stand largely depends on its compatibility with your laptop model. The maximum diagonal of your notebook must coincide with the stand’s size, otherwise you won’t get the proper cooling and firm fixation of your notebook on the surface.
Most notebook stands are made for the most common diagonals of laptops:
- less than 14″
- less than 15″
- more than 16″
Some manufacturers can offer universal models that, when extended or folded, adjust to the dimensions of any equipment. They have a prescribed diagonal value ranging from minimum to maximum, such as 14-16″.
Many stands are equipped with additional features for more comfortable use.
The presence of the backlight, which is most often located in the fan area, gives the stand a stylish futuristic look. But it does not affect the usability of the laptop in the dark and you still have to turn on an additional lamp.
It has different number of ports, mostly two or four. It allows you to increase the number of devices connected via USB.
If notebook user prefers to use not a touchpad but a mouse, a special stand will be an additional advantage. It is made in several variants: continuation of the main surface or a removable shelf.
Some models also have a hand pad – a protuberance around the wrist that helps prevent muscle and joint strain during extended periods of work.
The locking devices
They help to set the technique securely on the stand and come in several types:
- Bumpers. They serve as a stopper and do not let the laptop slip.
- Fasteners. They protect the equipment from falling when turning over or tilting the stand.
Possibility to remove the fans allows to use the stand in both active and passive cooling modes. In this case the installation of removable coolers is possible in any place, but it is desirable that they coincide with the holes of the cooling system of the laptop itself.